- Dysart native played outfield for the Major League Brooklyn Dodgers and made one of baseball’s most famous catches, taking away a potential game-tying home run from Joe DiMaggio at Yankee Stadium in Game 6 of the 1947 World Series.
- The catch preserved the Dodgers’ 8-6 win, though the Yankees came back to win the series in game 7.
- Made his Major League debut in 1944 with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Batted a career-best .284 with with nine triples and 74 runs scored for Pittsburgh in 1945.
- Had a career .266 batting average in the majors.
Watch the catch on YouTube: