- Was considered among the great football innovators of his time and is known as one of the architects of the use of the lateral pass and downfield lateral.
- Credited with revolutionizing football.
- Compiled a 137-71-14 record in 26 years as a coach at Stanford (1922-23), Washington & Jefferson (1926-28), Colgate (1929-46) and Lebanon Valley (1947-49).
- Coached undefeated and unscored upon 1932 Colgate team.
- Was associated with the annual East-West Shrine game for more than 40 years, first as coach and then as business manager for the East.
- Elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951.
- Coached at Johnstown High.