- Four-sport standout at Ferndale High, who played professional baseball and was among the game’s most respected professional umpires.
- Played in the Middle Atlantic League, Kitty League and Penn State League prior to World War II.
- After the war, became an umpire and PIAA official.
- Umpired in the minor leagues in 1950 in the Georgia State League; advanced to the Provincial League, Eastern League and American Association.
- Advanced to the National League in Major League Baseball in 1957.
- Umpired in the National League until his death in 1971.
- Umpired three World Series in 1963, 1965 and 1970.
- Umpired the 1959 and 1969 Major League All-Star Games.