- Lilly native earned the nickname “Ironman” at the University of Maryland, where he played nearly every minute of every game in 1937, 1938 and 1939.
- All-American lineman capped his senior season by being named the outstanding player in the District of Columbia by the Touchdown Club, All-Southern Conference.
- An honorable mention on the NEA All-America team and also was named to the All-District of Columbia and All-Maryland teams after each of his seasons with the Terps.
- Earned a bachelor of science degree in industrial arts in 1940 and entered the U.S. Army on a ROTC commission as a second lieutenant.
- Served with the 11th Airborne Division during World War II and earned the Purple Heart and Bronze Star.
- An injury he suffered in World War II thwarted a possible professional football career as he had been invited to a Washington Redskins tryout.