- Named the head team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1991, a position he continues to fill through 2013.
- Past president of National Football League (NFL) Physicians Society.
- Serves on the NFL Injury and Safety Panel.
- Specializes in orthopaedic sports medicine and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, elbow and knee.
- Co-captain of the Penn State football team and winner of the 1975 Dapper Dan College Football Award.
- Earned medical degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine.
- Completed general residency training at the University of Tennessee and orthopaedic surgery residency training at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Completed sports medicine fellowship training at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles.
- Cared for professional athletes while in LA, including members of the Los Angeles Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, Kings and Angels, as well as college and high school athletes.