- Set Greater Johnstown High School’s single-season scoring record with 421 points (since broken).
- Was a first-team All-State selection by both the Associated Press and United Press in 1953-54.
- After leading the Trojans to a 26-1 record as a senior, Schmidt accepted a scholarship to Duke University, where he started two seasons.
- Scored 559 points and had 409 rebounds at Duke University from 1956-58.
- Was among the top players on the Blue Devils freshman team in 1954-55.
- Named Duke’s Most Valuable Player and a second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection as a senior.
- Was Johnstown High’s first player to be named first-team All-State.
- The Trojans had a two-year record of 53-3 with two District 6 titles during his junior and senior seasons, reaching the Western Final and Western Semifinal, respectively.