- Welterweight from Coalport had a career 39-22-3 record with nine knockout from 1941 to 1952.
- Headlined boxing cards in New York City, Chicago, Miami and Detroit.
- Fought Sugar Ray Robinson for the welterweight championship. Robinson won by TKO.
- Served in the U.S. Army for 36 months during World War II and boxed in front of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Britain’s Winston Churchill in a bout at Fort Benning, Ga.
- Won his first nine professional bouts and 14 of his first 15 fights.
Leave a Comment