- Part of the New York Jets Super Bowl III-winning team made famous by quarterback Joe Namath’s guaranteed victory over the Baltimore Colts.
- Selected in the 1967 NFL-AFL Draft and signed with the Jets. Played two seasons on the offensive line.
- Johnstown High graduate earned a scholarship to Michigan State.
- Won the Big Ten heavyweight wrestling championship as a sophomore and earned All-American honors in 1966 and 1967.
- A defensive lineman during Michigan State’s successful run under football coach Duffy Daugherty.
- Played on two teams that won national championships in 1965 and 1966.
- Starting defensive lineman in 1966 when the second-ranked Spartans played top-ranked Notre Dame in what was labeled the “Game of the Century.”
- Made 16 tackles, including a touchdown-saving stop on the Irish QB in the 10-10 tie at Spartan Stadium.
- Was a football, wrestling and track standout in the early 1960s at Johnstown High, where he won the state heavyweight wrestling championship.
- Won 52 bouts and lost only three while wrestling for the Trojans.
- Was 22-0 and won the state title during his junior year.
- Inducted into the Pennsylvania Wrestling Coaches Association Hall of Fame.
Leave a Comment