- Was the winningest coach in Windber High history with an 82-36-5 record at the time of his retirement.
- Coached the Ramblers from 1948 to 1960 against teams from across the state.
Played on Johnstown High 1930 Western Conference championship team.
- Played at Carnegie Institute of Technology from 1934 through 1937 and had a key interception in Tech’s 9-7 victory over Notre Dame in 1937.
- The Irish led 7-6 when Kawchak intercepted a pass and returned the ball 60 yards to the Notre Dame 6-yard line, setting up a game-winning field goal.
- Team captain as a senior and received the Walter H. Burns Award as Carnegie Tech’s most valuable player.
- Inducted into the Pennsylvania Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1988.
Leave a Comment