- Built a national power at Pitt-Johnstown, taking over the second-year program in 1976.
- Became first NCAA Division II wrestling coach with 500 dual meet victories.
- Through 2017-18, his 581 dual-meet wins ranked second all-time in all collegiate divisions.
- Led Pitt-Johnstown team to NCAA Division II national championships in 1996 and 1999.
- Twice named Division II National Coach of the Year.
- His teams captured 21 NCAA Regional Championships.
- Produced 14 individual national champion wrestlers who have combined to win 21 national tites through 2018 and had 149 All-Americans in that span.
- Coached well over 100 NWCA All-Academic Wrestling Team selections through 2018.
- UPJ team finished in the Top-10 22 times and Top-20 in the nation 34 times through 2018 and combined to win 49 team tournaments and 581 dual meets through the 2017-18 season.
- Assumed role as Athletic Director at Pitt-Johnstown in 2008.
- Served as the NCAA Division II Representative for the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA), a duty previously held for 10 years entering 2011-12.
- Served as NWCA president for two terms.
- A member of eight halls of fame, including the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame-East Boro Chapter (1994), West Liberty State College Hall of Fame (1998), Pennsylvania Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame (2001), NCAA Division II Wrestling Hall of Fame (2003), Pitt-Johnstown Athletics Hall of Fame (2015), Western Chapter Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame (2016), and Pennsylvania Chapter National Wrestling Hall of Fame (2017), as well as the Cambria Hall.
Leave a Comment