- Played basketball at the University of Pittsburgh and was the Panthers’ leading scorer.
- Coached St. Francis College men’s basketball team to 293-206-1 record in 20-plus seasons.
- His St. Francis teams won 20 or more games five times.
- Recruited the legendary Maurice Stokes out of Westinghouse High School.
- With Stokes as his star, Hughes led St. Francis to 79-30 mark from 1951 to 1955.
- Led two teams to the National Invitational Tournament.
- Led St. Francis to fourth-place finish in 1955 NIT.
- Led St. Francis to another NIT berth in 1958.
- St. Francis advanced to the National Catholic Invitational national championship game in 1951-52 and finished runner-up to Marquette.
- The 1951-52 team won 23 games and had three 1,000-point scorers in Stokes, Edward F. Dugan and John F. Bodner.
Leave a Comment