- Led Johnstown High football team to a 63-12-3 record from 1954 to 1961.
- His Trojans won a Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League Class AA championship in 1958.
- The 1958 team went 11-0 and the 1959 squad was 10-0 as Johnstown posted 25 straight wins and went 27 games without a loss at one stretch.
- Produced numerous future NCAA Division I players while at Johnstown High.
- Served as a backfield coach at the University of Kentucky in 1962.
- Was an assistant with Kentucky (1962-64) and Navy (1964-66).
- Spent three seasons as head coach at the University of Pittsburgh (1966-69).
- Served as athletic director at the University of Louisville (1973-78) and University of Missouri (1978-86).
- Was commissioner of the Southern Conference (1986-91).
- Served as a consultant to the University of North Carolina’s athletic department from 1993 until his death in 2009. Hart helped raise more than $300,000 for UNC athletes.
- Played halfback on the University of Georgia’s undefeated Sugar Bowl team in 1946.
- Was a defensive back at St. Vincent College from 1947-49 and played on a Tangerine Bowl team.
- Inducted into the Pennsylvania Football Coaches Hall of Fame in 1997.
- Member of the National Intercollegiate Athletic Directors Hall of Fame and a recipient of the Gen. Robert R. Neyland Lifetime Achievement Award (1996), Collegiate Commissioners Award of Merit (1997), St. Vincent College Lettermen of Distinction Award (1978); and the Greater Johnstown High School John P. Murtha Friend in Education Award (2010 posthumously).
Leave a Comment