- Overcame the odds of not playing high school football to playing quarterback at Arizona State University from 1955 to 1959 and serving as the starting quarterback as a senior.
- Completed 40 of 73 passes for 536 yards, five touchdowns and one interception with coach Frank Kush’s Sun Devils in 1959.
- Threw for 40 yards and a touchdown in limited appearances, completing 2 of 3 passes in 1956. Played for the Southwest All-Stars in the 1959 Copper Bowl.
- Was part of the Sun Devils team for four years, with one redshirt season. Played under coaches Dan Devine and CCSHOF member Frank Kush at ASU.
- Received a plaque in Germany from Col. Donald P. Christensen, Sixth Armored Calvary Regiment for his play on the regimental baseball team in 1954.
- Served overseas from August 1953 through 1954 and made his mark on the Regiment’s football, basketball and baseball teams.
- Had been under contract to the Philadelphia Phillies Bradford (Pa.) Pony League Team when inducted into the Army in March 1953.
- A former player for Westmont AC in the Johnstown Junior League and Johnstown AC and Westmont AC in the City-Somerset County Senior League.
- A 1950 graduate of Greater Johnstown High.
- Revisited Tempe, Arizona, before the 2017 homecoming matchup against USC and received regional and even some national attention.
Leave a Comment