- Led the campaign to establish the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy, honoring the winner of the annual football competition between the three U.S. Service academies.
- Former athletic director of the United States Air Force Academy from 1957 to 1960.
- Responsible for picking the site of the Air Force Academy’s Falcon Stadium.
- Captain of the University of Maryland football team that played University of Georgia in the 1948 Gator Bowl.
- Served two combat tours in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, surviving being shot down during his second tour.
- Received Air Force Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Purple Heart, Air Medal with 11 oak leaf clusters, Air Force commendation medal, Army commendation medal and Vietnam Air Gallantry Cross.
- A 1938 Ferndale Area High School graduate, he was a lineman on the Yellow Jackets’ 9-1-1 team in 1937.
Leave a Comment