- Woodvale native was known as one of the best linemen to play at Johnstown High.
- Played at the University of Pittsburgh, drawing his first starting assignment for legendary coach Jock Sutherland as Pitt upset Washington 21-0 the 1937 Rose Bowl.
- Earned the nickname “The Rock.” and played professionally two seasons with the football Brooklyn Dodgers, and then joined the Army for World War II.
- Joined Pitt’s coaching staff and remained in that capacity from 1950 through 1972.
- Pitt’s Assistant to the Athletic Director from 1973 to 1984.
- Worked with players who went into coaching such as Mike Ditka, Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Walton and Joe Schmidt.
- Multiple scholarships and training facilities at Pitt are named in Petro’s honor.
Leave a Comment