- Joined Johnstown’s WJAC-TV in 1956 and ascended to the post of sports director in 1963, a position he held through 1989.
- Known locally, regionally and even nationally for his interviews with sports stars in both the amateur and pro game.
- Among some of the stars he featured were Roberto Clemente, Jack Ham, Muhammed Ali, Willie Mays, Joe Louis, Billy Conn, Rocky Marciano.
- His sports segment, highlighted by a deep and rich voice and pull-no-punches approach, was one of the most memorable portions of WJAC-TV’s nightly broadcast.
- A regular in Bradenton, Fla., for Pirates spring training.
- Covered the Pirates, Steelers and Penn State football among his major beats.
- Reported on four Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl winners, two Pittsburgh Pirates World Series champions, three NCAA football championship squads (Pitt once and Penn State twice).
- Covered local Cy Young Award winner Pete Vuckovich, internationally legendary golfer Arnold Palmer and Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham of Johnstown.
- Co-hosted Penn State coach Joe Paterno’s syndicated weekly talk show for many years and also hosted a one-hour special on the Nittany Lions for ESPN.
- Worked the sidelines for Penn State’s Fiesta Bowl victory over Miami for the 1986 National Championship.
- Served as emcee of the Cambria County Sports Hall of Fame banquet from the 1960s into the early 2000s.
Leave a Comment